YPSILANTI — Eastern Michigan University has awarded its prestigious Presidential Scholarship to 21 new freshmen. Each student will receive a four-year, full-ride scholarship, valued at approximately $69,500 over four years.
Presidential Scholars are selected during EMU's annual Presidential Scholarship Competition and awards are based on a competitive exam. To compete, high school seniors must have either a 3.5 cumulative GPA, with a minimum of a 25 ACT or 1,200 SAT score. The competition consists of an essay test (the topic is provided by the student), a personal interview with EMU faculty and staff and a review of their academic and extra-curricular background.
- Rana Aabed comes to EMU from Farmington Hills, Mich. During her time at EMU, Rana plans to pursue a degree in psychology with a concentration in behavior analysis and a minor in biology.
- Troye Aho from Detroit plans to pursue a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a 2D concentration, as well as a queer studies minor. Her passions include art, social activism, and community development and how these intersect and work with each other.
- Hind Al-khashali comes from West Bloomfield, Mich. During her time at EMU, Hind plans to pursue a degree in neuroscience with a concentration in pre-medicine.
- Tamara Blair comes to EMU from Byron Center, Mich. During her time at EMU, Tamara plans to pursue a degree in Marketing.
- Lauren Mara D. Colina is arriving at EMU from St. Clair Shores, Mich. During her time at EMU, Lauren plans to pursue a major in international business entrepreneurship.
- Blake Eastman is attending EMU from Bexley, Ohio. Blake wants to major in computer science and work somewhere in the tech field.
- Sydney Edwards comes from Muskegon, Mich., where she attended Reeths-Puffer High School. During her time at EMU, Sydney plans to pursue a degree in nursing.
- Andre Gendera is originally from Brazil and moved to the USA when he started middle school. Andre is attending Eastern while also serving as a U.S. Army soldier. At EMU, he is pursuing a major in criminology and criminal justice with a concentration in law enforcement and a minor in military science.
- Adriana Henriquez Mora comes to EMU from Las Vegas, Nevada but was born in Lima, Peru. During her time at EMU, Adriana plans to pursue a degree in economics.
- Jeffrey Hoang arrives at EMU from Saginaw, Mich. At EMU, Jeffrey is pursuing a major in political science and a minor in communications.
- Luci Jackson comes to EMU from Pinckney, Mich. During her time at EMU, Luci plans to pursue a degree in aviation flight science and technology with a minor in business.
- Isaac Joslyn comes to EMU from Caro, Mich. Isaac plans to pursue a degree in product design engineering technology.
- Ella Keena traveled from Walled Lake, Mich., to attend EMU. During her four years at EMU, Ella will pursue a degree in mechanical engineering and is currently exploring options for a minor.
- Anagha Kiran comes to EMU from Ann Arbor, Mich. At EMU, Ana will pursue a degree in computer engineering technology.
- Kristen Liechty comes to EMU from Midland, Mich. During her time at EMU, Kristen plans to pursue a degree in psychology with a minor in Spanish.
- Matias Martinez-Ekkel comes to EMU from Grandville, Mich. During his time at EMU, Matias plans to pursue a degree in aviation flight technology with a minor in business.
- Felix Meisel has lived in Massachusetts, Tennessee and Oklahoma, but most recently, comes from Saginaw, Mich. While at Eastern, Felix plans to major in theatre arts, although he is also considering earning a second degree (or a graduate degree) in history.
- Ravel Ray comes to EMU from Akron, Ohio. During his time at EMU, Ravel plans to pursue a major in neuroscience with a focus in pre-medicine and a minor in Spanish.
- Joanna Sulimin comes to EMU from Ann Arbor, Mich. During her time at EMU, Joanna plans to pursue a degree in nursing.
- Tierra Tresvant comes to EMU from Dearborn Heights, Mich. At EMU, Tierra plans to pursue the combined Bachelor’s and Master’s degree program in public and nonprofit administration.
- Sarah Voss comes to Eastern from Petersburg, Mich. At EMU, Sarah plans to earn a Bachelor's degree in psychology with a focus on child development.
For more information, please visit the Presidential Scholarship website.
About Eastern Michigan University
Founded in 1849, Eastern is the second oldest public university in Michigan. It currently serves nearly 18,000 students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, specialist, doctoral and certificate degrees in the arts, sciences and professions. In all, more than 300 majors, minors and concentrations are delivered through the University's Colleges of Arts and Sciences; Business; Education; Engineering and Technology; Health and Human Services; and, its graduate school. For more information about Eastern Michigan University, visit the University's website.