YPSILANTI – Exceptional efforts and service at Eastern Michigan University were recognized Monday, April 12, during the Women’s Resource Center’s Annual Women of Excellence Ceremony, which was held virtually for the second consecutive year.
The 2021 Women of Excellence Ceremony Theme is: “Women Becoming Whole: Physical, Spiritual & Mental Wellness.”
Dr. Joneigh S. Khaldun, Chief Medical Executive for the State of Michigan, served as the keynote speaker.
The Women of Excellence Award
The Women of Excellence Award seeks to recognize women and femme identified in the EMU community who live the mission statement of the Women's Resource Center: To encourage, support, and advocate for the personal, academic, and professional advancement of ALL women.
This year the center celebrated three Women of Excellence Award recipients:
• Rhonda Vander Zwagg - Director of Operations for EMU Women's Basketball, Department of Athletics.
• Jenny Clark - CATE Lab Coordinator, Disability Resource Center.
• Allison Boone Green - Full-time Instructor and Advisor for the Interdisciplinary Leadership Minor, Leadership and Counseling Department, College of Education.
“Congratulations to the 2021 Women's Resource Center Women of Excellence Award recipients: Rhonda Vander Zwaag, Jenny Clark, and Allison Boone Green,” said Joi Rencher, Women’s Resource Coordinator. “With 41 years of combined service to Eastern Michigan University, these women have done so much and continue to do the work that is necessary to make EMU a supportive place for our students.
“We are grateful that we were able to provide a platform to recognize these amazing women and their accomplishments. They are deserving of this award and so much more."
Student Scholarship Winners
• Heather Bower - Major in Social Studies/History Comp.
• Simone Brown - Educational Leadership Doctoral Program.
• Tiffany Chen - Higher Education Student Affairs (HESA) Graduate Program.
• Hailee Hull - Major in Secondary Education Integrated Science Comprehensive, Teaching and Learning with Secondary Certification.
• Kari Klavon - Major in Marketing & minor in Psychology.
• Katie Lane-Waters - Major in Social Work & minor in Women and Gender Studies.
• Rachel Neil - Bachelors and masters combined in Athletic Training.
• Mikaela Trowbridge - Major in Elementary Education Reading Comprehension & Minor in Art.
About Eastern Michigan University
Founded in 1849, Eastern is the second oldest public university in Michigan. It currently serves more than 16,000 students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, specialist, doctoral and certificate degrees in the arts, sciences and professions. In all, more than 300 majors, minors and concentrations are delivered through the University's Colleges of Arts and Sciences; Business; Education; Engineering and Technology; Health and Human Services; and, its graduate school. EMU is regularly recognized by national publications for its excellence, diversity, and commitment to applied education. For more information about Eastern Michigan University, visit the University's website.